Saturday, September 3, 2011

5 Ways to Save $$$ on Gas (From a Biker's Point of View)


   One of the many joys of motorcycling is the amount of $$$ you can potentially save on gas. I spend roughly $10 a week (most times less) traveling back and forth between home, work and school. Nonetheless, With gas prices still doubling what they used to be in the 1990s (I remember when my mother used to complain about $2.19 for premium) it helps to save a buck or two. Here's 5 easy ways you can save $$$ on gas:

  1. Travel light. I mean when you think about it it just makes sense, physical science 101. The less "work" the engine has to do  the less gas it needs to do it.
  2. Smooth out your riding. If you're not engine braking you should be. Dead stops and starts are where combustion engines lose the most gas. The less you brake the less work the engine will need to do later when you decide to accelerate. This saves you gas in the long run. Keep your eye on, not only, the car ahead of you but the car ahead of that car and so on. That way when the third car ahead of you decides to brake you can anticipate that the two cages behind that one will do the same, which leads me to the next tip;
  3. Sloooow dooown. No seriously take it easy on the throttle and shift early. I've been practicing this for a few months now and it works. For example, I only use 1st gear to pull away from a dead stop, I don't even let it get past 15mph before I shift to 2nd. Same with 2nd, before I hit 30mph I'm in 3rd and so forth. For the past few months my bike hasn't been over 60mph and that lets me squeeze almost 200 miles (68mpg) out of my 2010 883 - if I ignore the gas lamp for 50 miles. Now I know what you guys and gals are thinking, "Whats the point in that, if I wanted to scoot down the highway then I would have bought a scooter!" I hear you and believe me I feel the same way but I'm on a tight budget. I literally, financially and metaphorically can't afford to go any faster... I must admit though, there are some days however, I piss on my budget and let the throttle loose! I CAN DRIVE 65!
  4. Efficiency maintenance. If the engine runs optimally then the engine runs efficiently. I shouldn't have to tell you that maintaining your Sportster will save you $$$ not only on mechanical issues that could pop up but you'll also save money on gas. Check your tires, check your air filter, check your gas cap, check your oil, check your Harley stock ;)
  5. Have fun. Motorcycling is supposed to be fun. Constantly having to watch the gas needle instead of the amazing vistas you can only get from atop an iron [883] horse is not fun. It negates the whole point of owning a Sportster. If you want to save a little $$$ however, just keep these tips in mind.
Ride safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment